SHARK AERO SHARK Rotax 912S gear ratio 2.43
The SHARK UL is a tandem multi-axis ultralight designed by the Slovakian company SHARK-AERO headed by Vladimir Pekar.
In 2022, the young Mack Rutherford flew around the world in a Shark 912S with an E-Props Durandal propeller (54,124 km at an average speed of 245 km/h).
Excellent Constant Speed propeller for the Shark. Very light and a great technology. After 100 hrs of flight, perfect functioning. Great success.
Successful bet for Mack Rutherford (MackSolo): he becomes the youngest pilot to have flown around the world alone!
His plane: a Shark with Rotax 912 engine (100hp) and E-Props ground adjustable pitch propeller Durandal.
A few statistics about this epic journey :
* Total time of circumnavigation: 142 days (= 5 months + 1 day)
* Total distance: 29225 Nm (54124 km)
* Total time in the air: 221 hours
* Average speed = 245 km/h
* Takeoffs/Landings: 68
* Longest flight: 10 hours [Japan-USA]
* Longest flight over water: 10 hours [Japan-USA]
* Highest altitude: 12500 ft [Mexico]
* Continents visited: 4
* Countries visited: 30
* Highest temperature: +48 C°
* Lowest temperature: -12 C°
* Age at time of record: 17 years, 2 months and 2 days [previous record holder: Travis Ludlow: 18 years & 5 months]
* Aircraft: Shark, Engine Rotax 912S, Propeller E-Props Durandal
Mack's sister, Zara, flew around the world on the same plane the year before.
- Zara, with a Woodcomp 2-blade inflight variable pitch propeller, flew 52,080 km in 260 h in 68 flights. Average speed = 200 km/h
- Mack, with an E-Props 3-blade ground adjustable pitch propeller, flew 54,124 km in 221 h in 71 flights. Average speed = 245 km/h
Of course the route was not the same, but everything else was identical: it's the same plane and the same engine.
A great difference in performance! (2022-08-27)
In summary I can say that it is better everywhere. Shorter takeoffs. Climb with very good vario from 1500ft/mn to 180 km/h. Cruising speed superior to the Durandal.
Less stress on the gearbox due to its lightness.
Less expensive than the woodcomp.
I really enjoyed my stay in Sisteron. The professionalism and kindness of your teams are real assets for your company. Thank you for your welcome.
Propeller of good construction, simple and light.
An extremely fast propeller on my SHARK. Very flexible and very reactive. Nice job. The Titanium protection is very nice.
In the series 'ground adjustable pitch E-PROPS give better performance than variable pitch propellers (and prove it)', here is a comparison from results measured on the SHARK Rotax 912S.
Comparative tests between a DUC 2-blade variable pitch propeller and a 3-blade DURANDAL-3 adjustable on the ground, same diameters, on a SHARK 100hp.
- 15 km/h maximum speed with the same take-off distance.
- 3.3 kg (reduce the absolute mass, and the one on the Rotax 912S gearbox)
- 5,323 euros...
- very easy to assemble and use
Good morning, E-PROPS team,
I replaced the DUC Swirl with your Durandal 100, results:
- in PJ before / after RPM - KM/H (setting PG 5420 rpm) against DUC S : 5000 / 24 / 255
- take-off 10% gain
- strong torque then with the right foot
Strong vibrations between 2000 and 2900 rpm so I also had to do a carburetor synchro, global reduction of vibrations and noise.
It's really top now this sound quality of the propeller
Laurent Venet (VOL des AIGLES) equips his ultralights with E-PROPS propellers.
He went to E-PROPS for the SHARK propeller with a clear verdict: the efficiency is better.
(extract from the report of the 2017 Blois Airshow in Aviation et Pilote October 2017)